I have a few recipe “blogging rules” that I always try to follow:
- If I feel like a recipe isn’t good enough, it doesn’t go on the blog. This also means that if I don’t ever see myself making something again I won’t post it.
- If I think my photos just aren’t good enough I will go back to the drawing board and re-shoot them. This can drive me a bit crazy sometimes, but it’s totally worth it in the end when you are satisfied with the final product. After all it’s a bit like art.
Anyway, after multiple sips, I knew that this one was going up on the blog. There was no second guessing it tasted that good.
Having said that, I find smoothies always seem like their so easy to make. Throw some things into the blender, whaz it up, and you’re done. But sometimes they come out tasting just plain nasty…chalky texture and all. Smoothie making can certainly be an art form.
That’s where this vegan protein shake comes in. Cookie dough in smoothie form…what could be better?
Instead of using protein powder, which can give your smoothie that chalky texture and taste, I added these protein-packed ingredients:
- Cashew Butter
- Raw Hemp Seeds
- Almond Milk
This smoothie is also flavored with cocoa powder and a drizzle of maple syrup. The cashew butter really helps give it that cookie dough batter-like taste. Banana goes in for a little extra thickness, but it’s definitely not overpowering if you hate bananas.
To top it off we have dark chocolate shavings. And in case you’re wondering, yes, this smoothie is totally breakfast able. It’s incredibly thick, filling and boasts 17 grams of protein. You can split it into 2 servings if you like with something on the side or finish the whole thing off yourself. Enjoy the boost of protein and omega-3’s that hemp seeds provide. They also reduce inflammation in the body and help balance hormones.
So blend it all up and what do we have?
- 1 cup unsweetended almond milk (or other preferred milk)
- 1/3 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 medium frozen banana
- 1 tbsp cashew butter
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-4 ice cubes
- Chocolate shavings (optional)
In a small bowl, mix the oats and almond milk. Place in fridge and let it soak for at least 2 hours to soften and thicken. This prevents the oats from giving the smoothie a gritty texture.
Place thickened oat mixture into your blender along with the rest of the ingredients (except for the chocolate shavings). Blend on high until smooth.
Pour into a tall glass, top with chocolate shavings if desired. Serve and enjoy!